Monday, January 15, 2024

Book Review - The Austrian Bride - By Helen Parusel - Publication Date: 15 January 2024


 This is the second Helen Parusel novel I've been privileged to read and review.  Once again the author does not disappoint.  There is plenty to raise the hairs on your arms, and many heart-gripping and stopping moments.  This historical novel is set, obviously in Austria, just pre- and during WWII under Hitler's Reich.  We often hear about what happened to the Jews in the concentration camps and so on.  This work takes a look at the citizens, what they endured and how some resisted.  I praise the author in how she wove all this together:  the kindnesses, the courage, but also the cruelty of mankind, which in my opinion gave the reader a 'feel' for those times.

In the novel we meet Ella, who attended the Bride School.  Had never heard of this angle before so it was of interest to me.  Then there was Max and what he turned out to be.  I found it all quite realistic.

The only caution I have about this book is the few bedroom scene intimacies described, which I would rather not have read.  Other than that, this has been a great read.

4 star rating from me.

                                         ~Eunice C.,  Reviewer/Blogger~

                                                     December 2023

Disclaimer:  This is my honest opinion based on the complimentary review copy sent by NetGalley and the publisher.

Read review on Goodreads.






















No comments:

Post a Comment