Sunday, October 1, 2023

Book Review - White House Wild Child - By Shelley Fraser Mickle - Publication Date: 3 October 2023


 I could really catch the author, Shelley Fraser Mickle's, enthusiasm for the Roosevelts, especially for Theodore (T.R.) and his daughter Alice.  It became rather exciting, for a biography, that is.

My expectations of this book were that the main focus would be on Alice since, after all, part of the title reads, "Wild Child".  However, I realized there was so much about T. R.  but that to understand the child, the father and his treatment of her had to be investigated and examined, as the author has brought to the reader's attention.  Knowing these bits and pieces of the Alice jigsaw puzzle allows the reader to gain a better grip on her personage especially as she came to espouse that label, "Wild Child".

I'm really happy to have read this book as my grandfather was a fan of T.R. and I got to know more about this former US president.  Interestingly enough, grandpa never ever mentionted Alice, as far as I can recall.   She must have been "too much" for him but I found her amusing and fascinating.  She also has my sympathies but you'll have to read the book to know what that is all about.

In my opinion, any reader will feel privileged to be privy to the 'secrets' of the lives of these Roosevelts as revealed within this biography's pages.  

A 4-Star rating from me.

                                            ~Eunice C.,  Reviewer/Blogger~

                                                                May 2023

Disclaimer:  This is my honest opinion based on the complimentary review copy sent by NetGalley and the publisher.

Read review on Goodreads.















































2 comments: