Saturday, November 4, 2023

Lord's Day Devotion - Our Eyes Shall See Him


 The pathos of Job in his darkest valley hours said,

"I know my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth.  And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes - I, and not another.  How my heart yearns within me" (Job 19:25-27).

Job's hope and trust was in His Redeemer and being able to see Him for Himself and that with his own eyes.  Thus, despite his overwhelming misery, he was able to confidently speak words of assurance to himself.

Those who know Job's story will see that all elements seemed to have been contriving against him, even from his own brothers, his wife and his so-called friends.  Yet through all the physical and emotional pain, he still held on to the knowledge that His Redeemer lives and that he will get to see Him - he, himself.  In fact, he "yearned" for that time.

What an amazing trust and hope Job had!  Yes, we know he had sharp things to say, yet I find these words he spoke to be rather astonishing.

Earlier in chapter 19 Job mentioned he was only "skin and bones" (v 20).  Then in verse 26 he laments about his skin being destroyed.  I'm not sure if he meant he thought he'd die from his, at the time, current condition,

 "yet in my flesh I will see God" (v 26).   

I'd like to believe he knew these things.  He was a man who had been

"blameless and upright and feared God and shunned evil" (Job 1:1 NIV). 

God could well have revealed these things to him at an earlier date.  He held on to this knowledge and that he would see God His Redeemer!  What's more, he'd see God in his flesh and with his own eyes.  I feel these thoughts were Job's hope and stay throughout his ordeal.

As believers in Jesus Christ, we too have this sure hope of seeing with our own eyes, our Redeemer, Savior, Friend whom we call Jesus.  Whether we are sick, dying, and/or in misery of all kinds, we will see our Redeemer.  This is our hope and stay.  Hold on to these thoughts.

Jesus, in His darkest valley hours upon the cross, when He had been beaten and bruised and drained of life, trusted His Father God and loudly called out, 

"Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit" (Luke 23:16 NIV).

Just a few ticks before this, Jesus had told the repentant thief,

"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43).

There was hope for that thief to see His Redeemer again for we see Jesus alive again.  He resurrected on the third day; the first day of the week.  He met the ladies and they were given the injunction to go and tell the disciples (see Luke 24:1-12).

Their and our Redeemer lives and we shall see Him one day soon.  We shall see Him with our very own eyes.  Do you yearn for this day?  

Let us praise our Redeemer as we reach out to partake of the broken bread and drink of the cup of wine this Lord's Day in remembrance of His death and resurrection.

Jesus, Redeemer, our eyes look forward to seeing you again.  Whether we are in the flesh and You call all believers to Yourself or if we go individaully, our incorruptible flesh will see You.  Our very own eyes will see You.  This gives us so much hope and we trust Your word that You will come for us and soon (see 1 Thessalonains 4:13018).  

Thank You, Jesus, Redeemer.  We yearn to see You soon and very soo.  In Your name we give You praise.

                                      ~ERC  November 2023~

Based on Job 19:25-27 NIV.

Sing, Jesus, along with Christ Tomlin.


















No comments:

Post a Comment