Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Book Review - Let Us Vote - by Jennifer Frost - Publication Date: 18 January 2022


 Due to this book being of historical nature encompassing about three decades-worth of youth suffrage campaigning, there was bound to be much detailing to align and get facts correct; therefore, I found this a slow read.  However, I'm still glad I had the privilege of reading it as I learned so much!

In my mind had been, "Youth are too frivolous and unthinking to vote intelligently and seriously";  like, "What do they know of life's issues?"  Jennifer Frost has penned a different picture and I've gleaned a new perspective and now have greater respect for that age-group's opinions; hindsight dictates it.  I'd have to concur, "Yes, lower the age from 21 to 18 and "Let [Them] Vote"!"  It made so much sense, especially since they already had the 'right' to drive a car, pay taxes, own a home, marry and be drafted into a controversial war!

Nevertheless, I'd suggest that the wise, make this 'reveal' book "required reading" for would-be wiser voters of any age.  Let voters learn and understand who the champions of this American struggle have been; the proponents that dovetailed and helped spur their cause and the political hurdles of due democratic process, the wheels of which ground s-l-o-w-l-y and reluctantly but in the end, earned and activated the right for present day 18 year olds (and up), to vote, since 1971.  Let them also know of on-going issues.  It is not to be taken for granted, which is what I think is another point the author is trying to get across to her readers.

I can tell you that as I read, I felt the frustration and annoyance that repeated denial must have filtered forth from the youth suffragettes.  I found myself holding my breath with them, as "this time," hopefully, their wish would come true.  Disappointment was often the verdict, yet I believe their fortitude and perserverance was a wonder, as they got up, dusted themselves off, and tried again.  I recommend this book.

                                                  ~Eunice C., October 2021~

Disclaimer:  This is my honest opinion based on the review copy given by the publisher.

Read Book Review, also on Goodreads.















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a kind review, Eunice! You definitely got my purpose in writing the book: to bring appreciation and attention to this major achievement. And you are right about not taking the right to vote for granted. Do take care!

    ReplyDelete