Sunday, August 2, 2020

Good Book - The Dao of Healing

  
 A Good Book - The Dao of Healing - Christian Perspectives on Chinese Medicine
                                           Author:  Pak-Wah Lai, PhD   
  Medical Consultant:  Diarra Boubacar Thiemoke, PhD



When I perused the title of this particular book, I got so very excited because, after spending so many years in Southeast Asia (SEA), and having experienced some Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), personally, I thought it was about time I knew a nugget or two about it.

Obviously, I grew up only with the knowledge of what is termed “biomedicine” in this book, otherwise known as “western medicine”.  I was also biased with it because it has been “what I know” and am familiar with.  On the other hand, I’ve been prejudiced against the TCM, hearing a so-called, “Christian” view of TCM, or what I supposed is better known in the west as “homeopathic”, had its origins in the occult.

However, like I said, after spending so much time in SEA, my mind swirled with the idea that some good doctor, who knows both sides, should practice it and get the best of “both” worlds and teach others.  Thus, my enthusiasm, to get my hands on this book, as, even though I’m not sure this author practices both sides of the equation, he at least has a “treatise” on them from which folks from both sides can learn.

Now, I did struggle through this book as there are so many technical terms I’m unfamiliar with and 1/2 the time I didn’t know what the guy was talking about.   If you happen to be in the medical field you'll have a better understanding throughout.   So all during this MCO (Covid-19 lock down) time I really had to force myself to read through; my initial eagerness having cooled, and the spark to propel me through almost fizzled out.

Nevertheless, I soldiered on and towards the end of the book things started to make more sense and I have gained more confidence in TCM, in and of itself, being beneficial, and in its origins.   The author talks about “loving your neighbor as yourself” and making an honest search into the “histories and philosophies” behind each side.

In addition to that, the author tells Christians across the spectrum, that if we wish to reach all peoples with the gospel, we will need to not be so adamant against their way of doing things.  Pak-Wah Lai does caution Christians on certain elements of TCM, however, so will let you read the book yourselves, ha, ha, to discover what those are.

Something of interest I found out from reading this book was that during some periods of Chinese history, TCM had been banned!  That really surprised me.  However, it lingered on, as you all know, to this day.

                                                           -Prepared by:  ERC  Aug 2020-
















No comments:

Post a Comment