Saturday, June 20, 2020

My Four Fathers

Father's Day commemorates and honors fathers.  So saying, indulge me as I spout on about the four fathers in my life.  Three of the four of them came before, making them three forefathers whilst the one is the father of our children.  Would you term that the "aft" father?

Naturally, my natural father looms first.  He is now with my Big Father.  Nevertheless, in his lifetime he was one to practice what he preached 99.9% of the time and he would not expect more of you than he did of himself and so it was very difficult to get any 'wedge' on him.  He set the bar high and sometimes that was very exhausting and stressful and made one feel rebellious of times.  As you can imagine, though, that was actually bittersweet "medicine" and helped keep us on the straight and narrow for the most part.  

He made sure we knew the Holy Scriptures that were able to make us wise unto salvation (2 Timothy 3:15).  It was like we grew up in a seminary, constantly imbibing God's Word.  Perhaps my siblings and I didn't always appreciate that way back when, but it certainly has put us in good stead now.  This I have come to value.

Between my Dad and Mom, we got to know Jesus and this has been an invaluable, priceless 'knowing'.  Jesus became my best Friend.  A friend and Father like no other, but more of Him, later.

Dad was happiest and in his element at the Gospel Tent.  Every summer he would spend weeks encamped there,  preaching, driving the Gospel Bus, and doing what needed doing to further the Kingdom of God; serving Jesus, His Lord, Master and Savior.  Of course, we siblings were "dragged" into this too but looking back on all that now, summing it up, he left us a glorious legacy for serving the Lord and doing the good deeds God, our Heavenly Father, ordained for us to do (Ephesians 2:10).

Many of these I have mentioned at other times:  how he would go to the port in the nearby city where we lived and connect with sailors from all around the world; giving them portions of the Word of God and/or tracts that would help show the way to their Savior; sometimes he'd bring them home for a 'Canadian' meal and we'd get to learn about another part of the globe.  If Dad went on his preaching circuits he'd return and regale us with interesting tales and once a 'new' recipe to try out on us by way of "souvenir".  Of a winter, he'd create a small ice-rink for us to spend hours of skating pleasure, to name a few positive memories.

One life lesson he instilled in us was about a life-time partner.  Make sure you are not "unequally yoked" (2 Corinthians 6:14).  If you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, make sure the one you wish to marry has too.  


"How can two walk together unless they agree' (Amos 3:3)?

The foundation needs to be firm as there will be plenty of incidents for disagreement.  If you come from the same basic premise, then the marriage will be more stable and less likely to be shaken out of its roots.

Like I said, he practiced what he preached, and he and Mom had 63 steadfast and faithful years together before he was called to His Heavenly Father, first.  Mom had been the apple of his eye.

Another great, great forefather was my father-in-law.  He was a jolly good man.  My first, most cherished memory of him happened at The Tea Ceremony.  In Chinese culture, The Tea Ceremony is something like an initiation party to welcome the bride into the husband's family.  Here she gets to meet and greet the elders (anyone above the husband's age):  the new father and mother-in-law; aunts, uncles, older siblings and to learn the relationship to the husband, and the title of which each must be addressed.  Quite a feat.

The newly married couple serves these elders with small cups of tea and in return, receives red packets with money enclosed and/or some gold jewelry for the "new" member of the family.  Upon serving the tea, the bride must greet the relative, by title (there are coaches for this so you get it right) and invite the elder to drink some tea.  If the elder takes a sip, he or she signifies acceptance of the bride into the family.  All did, in this case.

However, my father-in-law did the remarkable:  he titled that wee cup right up and swallowed the whole lot of tea!  In the blur and haze of this cross-cultural proceeding, this action did not go unnoticed.  Forever after, I have been deeply grateful to this man who welcomed a virtual stranger, and foreigner, at that, into his midst and fold.

Having a green thumb, Papa, could coax just about anything to grow.  Orchids were one of his specialties; aloe vera plants flourished, as well as mangoes.  He prided himself on those worm-less mangoes and took great care there were none.  Tres magnifique!  He knew I especially like the apple-shaped mangoes from one of his trees and would often offer me the first fruit.  He would do many little works and tweaks of charity for all his children, grandchildren, and even, at times, great-grandchildren.

His one great labor of love for the family was to make aloe vera soup.  From his aloe vera plant supply he'd choose the biggest "leaves" and "skin" them, paring them down to the nutritious flesh for the weekly clan gathering dinner, soup pot.  It was a time consuming enterprise but it was lathered in his love and loyalty for and to family.

Such was my father-in-law and much, much more.

The third "father" in my life, is, of course, the father of our children.  He wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty, so to speak, with child care; stinky diapers and all.  A stalwart through the thick and thin of child-rearing and guidance and keeping them in line, as the years ticked by.  All those years of selfless toiling have been mammoth achievements of fatherhood and he, along with other such faithful fathers of fortitude and family, deserve the respect and consideration of a day "just for him.  After all, he definitely earned his stripes.

Of the four fathers, the most 'fore' of the forefathers, is my everlasting Heavenly Father; my Big Father.  He is my ever Living Father who loved me so much He sent His Son to die on my behalf to atone for my soul's transgressions and falleness and to repair the relationship between God and me (all mankind), offering forgiveness of sins and everlasting life.  What's more, He sent His Holy Spirit to help lead, guide and comfort me all along the way of my life.  Jesus my Savior has become my Friend and through Him, I get to know my Father, God.

Do you have such a Father?  He is always there for me and you.  He is the Compassionate, Merciful One; the one true God in whom I can trust, depend, and rely upon.  He is a Refuge, a Deliverer, a shield (as the Psalmist David was fond of saying).  He gives security, grace, supplies my needs; is staunchly devoted to me, His child.  He would be so to you too.

Through the Holy Spirit, my Heavenly Father is developing my relationship with Him; my emotional well-being as I can tell Him all my worries, cares and anxieties; His discipline, with love, compels me to obedience as I read and obey His Word and through it all provides that feeling of security; yes, of everlasting life in the after-earth life;  therefore, security spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Google explains about what makes a father different from a dad, not that I agree entirely, but it's something.  They describe it this way, "the difference between 'father' and 'dad' is, the man 'donates' sperm and therefore becomes a father, while a 'dad' "gets up every day and does whatever he can to put a roof over your head, clothes on your back and food on your table".

All of my four fathers have done this to the best of their abilities and two are still ongoing.  The memory of the two earthly forefathers lingers like a beautiful, lasting fragrance.  Two are still ongoing.  Their constant, true-blue attention to their responsibilities and unerring care has certainly created and built a fine family flock.

Kudos to my husband, the father of our children.  Even so, to my Heavenly Father who deserves my grateful gratitude for all He has done for me.  Father God, we honor and praise You with our lives.  


"Thank-You so much, Abba,* Father for all my four fathers."

       HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL FATHER'S OUT THERE.

                                                          ~ERC  June 2020~

Notes:

*"Abba" is Aramaic which loosely translates as, "Daddy"







,







No comments:

Post a Comment