Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Good Shepherd

Yesterday while meditating on Jesus being our "wonderful Counselor", "mighty God," "Everlasting Father" and "Prince of Peace," I found greater reverence for Jesus.  I felt secure in His love, like I'd gotten a heart-warming hug from a loving Father.  In turn, I felt a peacefulness and joy tingling at my heart in response.

You know, there are so many aspects and attributes in regards to Jesus and as I ponder them as suggested by Advent Christ is Coming devotional published by YouVersion, I'm finding a deeper, more joyful reverence unfolding.  Today pictures Jesus as "A Shepherd King" (Ezekiel 32:20-24).

Some basics we think about about shepherd's work:  protecting his flock from the dangers of predators;  providing plenty of good pasture land and source of still waters for sheep hunger and thirst quenching.  I think too, of shepherds who "adopt" the lambs abandoned by their mama ewe.  That entails all the around-the-clock feedings and keeping the lamb warm and close to his heart so it wouldn't become depressed and die (yes, I read that can happen to an abandoned lamb).   That lamb grows up to be deeply grateful to the caring caregiving shepherd and is then ever after keenly attuned to the shepherd's voice.  If a sheep goes astray, the shepherd goes all out to search for it (Luke 15:1-7).  The shepherd also makes sure his sheep are sheared at the appropriate times so they don't become overly weighted down with wool.

In more modern times, no offense to professional sheep keepers, tell me where I'm wrong, I'm just making observations which may be out of line but this is something of how I see it from a distance...modern day shepherds appear to take a back seat modus operandi from their flocks.  Amazing sheep dogs are put to work herding the sheep with barks (from the dogs) and whistles and perhaps, hand signals, from the shepherd.  The job gets done but it doesn't seem as an intimately involved relationship between sheep and shepherd  as in the ancient times' style.

Although the shepherd is still very much in command, it's a "pushing" of flock instead of leading a flock; a flock willing to follow the shepherd and the shepherd's voice.

When I review how Jesus had His very "hands-on" approach to the crowds as He walked the hundreds of kilometers from Galilee to Jerusalem and back, His shepherding role is very much evident.  He was "in-touch", quite literally, with the multitudes.  Granted, many followed out of curiosity and hopes of personal gain in some way; but I believe many followed out of genuine gratitude for healing and miracles He'd personally given them.  There was no lobbying for votes or campaign speeches!  No, Jesus showed His steadfast love and affection, His faithfulness to them, and that became the catalyst for this 'flock' to willingly follow.

Yes, public opinion did change on a dime whim at times. However, I especially like seeing Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus (secret disciples) who'd come inquiring of Jesus at night; how out of love and reverence in their hearts, respond to lovingly care for Jesus' earthly body and give Him a proper burial in a brand new tomb (Matthew 27:57-60 and John 19:38-42)!

I believe my mother is the one who introduced me to Jesus as Someone who loved me and cared for me.  Over the years Jesus has been dear to me, a Friend.  Due to this, Jesus, the Shepherd had my heart.  Even though there are times of 'going astray', He goes after me to "rescue" me.  His Holy Spirit, guides me back to Jesus.  God's Word nurtures and nourishes me and protects me as I follow His instructions, will and ways.

One specific instance of following His voice was a time when one of my children was away at university.  I'd had an awful 'feeling' one evening that he was in danger from ill-meaning people.  I prayed for his safety for many hours until peace finally came late at night.

Some time later, my son told me that at that time he'd gotten lost and the up-to-no-good guys told him they'd help set him in the right direction.  As "the path" got darker and more isolated, some other chap came along and insisted on assisting him.  The first lot dispersed and disappeared further into the dark alleyway.  

The new guide then led my son aright.  I didn't ask if he gave the guide a pinch or not but I've always wondered if that guide was an angel.  Whatever, Jesus was doing His shepherding work.  I can only thank Him with gratitude which I hope will translate into always following with my whole heart, this Good Shepherd who cares for you and me.

Read how God shepherded His people the Israelites and His promise to them in Ezekiel 34:20-24.  This promise boils all the way down to us today.  What a Good Shepherd!

                                                       ~ERC  December 2019~

Sing along with Pentatonix singing The First Noel


















No comments:

Post a Comment