Friday, November 18, 2016

Nostalgic Canadian


 HI there, I decided to take a break from my On the Doorstep, But Don't Get to Enter series as I have found what I have been looking for, for a while.  Way back in 1996, I had only been in SEA for about seven years but still felt the pull of my 'past' life in Canada on my heartstrings.  So when we ended up in a certain country, I spotted some things that reminded me of  'home'.  I wrote about them and sent it as a would-be hopeful entry to a Canadian magazine.  Alas, it was not worthy of them yet having dug  it up from the home archive in the present, I present it to you, slightly updated, in this blog form.

                              May I present .....  

                                       Nostalgic Canadian


Brunei Diamond
Living in the small, oil rich country of Brunei (BREW'-nigh), situated in Southeast Asia (SEA), has not caused me to lose any fondness for Canada or Canadian things.  Rather, the fondness has been honed by some discoveries of local 'Canadian flavors' that lend a taste of home. 

The Pines
Take, for instance, one lovely park that boasts corridors of pine trees and carpets of pine needles.  My first trip there gave an almost overwhelming sense of awe and peace.  A surprise from the Creator in which I could find sanctuary far from home.

 Speaking of trees, would you believe there are maple trees here too?!  Someone must have had a touch of humor (or maybe homesickness)--I never expected to find maple trees* in the tropics!  They don't come in autumn colors, but to an observant eye, the green, yet distinctly-shaped foliage of a maple can be observed.

Disregard the flag...



One local grocery store was supposedly promoting Canadian products (they looked more American to me) during their Canadian Day's specials.  I spotted a jar of syrup with a maple leaf on its label.  Snatching it up, I read, to my disappointment, "made in U.S.A."  But...wait a minute...the back label read, "Product of Canada"--what a golden find!




 Various people have told me that there are many Canadians (most often they are school teachers) in Brunei.  In three years I have met only one Canadian who just so happens to be a nurse from Ontario.  Although our paths rarely cross, it is rather nice to know there are some "kindred spirits" about.

Occasionally Canadian friends "pop over" from yonder shore.  On a most recent trip they brought four or five copies oh...can you guess?..."Canadian Living" magazines; back issues, mind you, yet still relevant.  These are great to help keep me abreast of what folks are eating and wearing; how they are decorating, having their babies (June '95 issue); and last, but not least what Peter Gzowski (also known as 'Mr. Canada' or 'Captain Canada') is up to on Morningside.

Brunei Rocks and Water


SEA Bagpipers

And finally, for the sound of Maritime music, an excursion to the port affords that waves-beating-upon-the rock aire; faint by comparison....Yet, with closed eyes, one's imagination can roam from  dear Sambro to Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia; to forests, foods, and folks, and to bag pipers piping (they have these here too)--lilting a collective symphony to the Canada I remember.

              


             ~ERC  originally written May 1996--presented here Nov 2016~


*P.S.  Not so sure those maple trees survived well.  They were good while they lasted.




2 comments:

  1. Submit again! This is good. Send it to Canadian Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there; thanks. Not so sure it's that good and it is a bit out of date.

    ReplyDelete