Saturday, October 6, 2018

Lord's Day Devotion - The Sweetest Name

How about you?  Did you like your given name from childhood up?  I didn't.  It seemed an odd, mostly uncommon, name that wasn't sweet music to peoples' ears.  Well, maybe except to my parents' and grandparents'.

For the first early years of my life, it was, "So how do you spell that?"  Or, "What was your name, again?...Uranus?"  Or, "Didn't your mother love you, so she gave you that name?"

How would you feel if you always had to explain your name and get ridiculed for it when they found out what it was?

Oh, and then there was a sitcom comedy with one actress's stage name, same as mine, whose character was to act stupidly.  Although I never grew up with a TV in my house, I did hear about this one particular show at school so knew and understood what was implied when the other children heard and jeered at my name.

Grandfather did help to reconcile somewhat by telling me my name meant "Happy Victory" and he was right proud of that and the name.  I didn't feel very victorious though with that name.  Grandpa also told of the good character example of the real life Bible personage from whence my name had come.  He did instill a glimmer of positive vibes about my name.  Yet with all the negative aura build-up, mostly from school, it was difficult to be accepting even as a young adult.

It was not until after getting married and moving to a radically different situation: country and culture, that some closure and thankfulness for my name edged in.  Folks didn't seem fazed with the name.  In this country, just my "luck", there is a somewhat common name with a similar pronunciation as mine albeit with different spelling, and to my chagrin, it's a guy's name.  Ho hum.  Can't have everything.

Normally, I'll have to spell out my name.  For Christians, I tell them it's a Bible name.  I'm quite shocked, actually, that many of them are shocked that it's a name in the Bible!  "Yes," I tell them, "it's the name of Timothy's mother."

Ironically, just the other day, when awaiting my turn at the clinic, I kept hearing the nurse call someone by the name, "Eugene!"  She kept getting louder and louder.  Finally, I looked up, and looked around, there was no man there.  So I looked at her and she looked at me, and I asked, "Are you asking for me?"  O.K....O.K...keep cool.  "Yes," she nodded.

Gently, I corrected, "My name is .... "

"Oh, sorry," she apologized.

"You, nice," if that helps.  Ha, ha!

There is another name that gets rough treatment at times.  It is the sweetest Name you could ever hear and know.  That name is, "Jesus".  To His followers, we love to hear the Name "Jesus" spoken in reverence and gratitude for all He has done for us in gaining salvation for us.

Yet His Name often evokes very much the opposite sentiments and reactions.  Reactions such as hate, ridicule; mockery of Himself, His Name and of His followers.  Even to this day, His Name is often spoken in vain and cursed; His followers persecuted for their faith and following.

Brothers and sisters-in-Christ, let us not speak Jesus's Name in vain nor take it for granted.  As we remember Jesus in His death and resurrection on Lord's Day, or on any other day for that matter, let us go forth in boldness, praising and glorifying that sweetest Name.

Pass the bread and cup of wine to one another in grateful remembrance of Jesus and all He has done for us.


"Neither is there salvation in any other:  for there is none other Name under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12 KJV).

Such authority and power in the Name of Jesus.

Jesus is the sweetest Name I know.

                                               ~ERC  October 2018~




















No comments:

Post a Comment